"Obama or straight people?" #eqcampsf
Dan Ancona: notes from RootsCamp.
What did the Obama campaign do?
1. Structure of "Empowered Accountability" -- make carpenters (organizer Marshall Ganz)
2. Tools: BlueStateDigital's my.barackobama.com & VoterActivation Network (the VAN).
3. Training -- tech&message training
[VAN was easy to use but not that easy, deployed Neighbor-to-Neighbor later]
Marshall Ganz- get people in a room and let them figure out how to make a million phone calls. share dreams & strategy. not just making phone calls, but a "machine for dreams".
Why is Camp Obama different? Experience and a set of tools in a certain point in time. We're at a different point now...
Were generally two days, 300+ ppl, designed to empower people & give them tools to be leaders in the campaign.
Respect, empower, include.
"California was more than an ATM machine"--people wanted to do more--they became the phonebank or were sent elsewhere.
1. Finding your voice. (first half of first day, tell the story of Self. why did you decide to be active? gives you your first tool to talk.)
2. Finding what your leadership ability was.
3. Finding your team.
4. Finding what your set of responsibilities were and who/how you were accountable.
The Tyranny of Structurelessness by Jo Freeman (1970).